(You may notice some holes in our history. If you would like to share your memories, please send an e-mail with the details to firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can fill out our history section!)
Early in 1952 three acres of land were donated for a Protestant Church by Paul Schaeffer, President and E.B. Standish, Vice President of Cambrian Builders. And so our story began.
March 2, 1952 – First Sunday School class for adults was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Russell Freeman (9 attended) and the first church service (32 attended)
March 19, 1952 – Santa Clara Planning Committee granted a use permit for the proposed parsonage on Leigh Avenue
April 13, 1952 – First Easter service was held at Union Elementary School
June 1, 1952 – Charter Member Sunday; thirty-one (31) members were received on that date
December 7, 1952 – Ground breaking for Wright Hall
May 30, 1954 – Consecration of Wright Hall which was used as the first sanctuary (cost $45,000)
March 24, 1957 – Ground breaking of present sanctuary
November 24, 1957 – First service in sanctuary.
March 9, 1958 – Sanctuary Consecration Service
September, 1960 – Boy Scout Troop 373 was founded and chartered. Bob Wilson, beloved church member now passed, served as the second Scoutmaster.
February 9, 1961 – Ground breaking for Education Building
June 4, 1961 – Consecration of Education Building
June 1, 1962 – The 10th Anniversary Celebration, Rev. Sargent Wright was pastor.
1965 – Our Youth Building was built
December 1967 – Twenty-four members of the Methodist Youth Fellowship from Cambrian Park Church spent a week of their school holiday on a service project refurbishing the century old North San Juan Methodist Church near Grass Valley
1968 – Methodist Church merged with Evangelical United Brethren faith, creating the United Methodist Church
1972 – Women’s Society of Christian Service merged with Wesleyan Service Guild and changed name to United Methodist Women
July 1976 – Time Capsule was buried on church grounds near the office, to be dug up in year 2076
July 1977 – 25th Anniversary celebration; Rev. Richard Bimson was pastor
July 27, 1980 – Mortgage Burning Ceremony was held after all mortgages on the church were paid off.
1983 – The first year that our Methodist Youth Fellowship worked on the Sierra Service Project.
1983 – Adopted a room at the San Jose Family Shelter
1984 – Paint Party – Members painted the outside of the church in a single day!
1985 – Co-founded PACT (People Acting in Community Together)
October 15, 1989 – Dedication ceremony for the new Allen Digital Computer Organ (ADC7300) that was installed in November of 1988 by J. Nelson and Company
January 21, 1990 – The 1500th baptism in our church
December 31, 1991 – Value of church building and land at end of 1991 was $3,709,000.
April 19, 1992 – On this Easter Sunday, the 3000th person was recorded into membership of our church. Our current membership roles stood at 594 on 12/31/91.
May 5, 1992 – Endowment Fund Mission Statement adopted at Charge Conference.
May 17, 1992 – The 40th Anniversary Celebration at Cambrian Park United Methodist Church
1993 – Parsonage was purchased on Almond Blossom Lane.
1996 – Renovated the nursery
1997 – Formation of the Blue Sky Committee to look at how we do “ministry”
October 31, 1999 – Adoption at Charge Conference of a Mission Statement and New Structure for doing ministry.
2002 – Celebrated our 50th Anniversary Celebration at CPUMC
2003 – Installed the Stain Glass Windows
September 2004 – Beginning of our Joint Youth Ministry with Almaden Hills UMC & Willow Glen UMC
2008 – Eco Landscaping
2009 – Amanda Network
September 2010 – Our Boy Scout Troop 373 celebrated their 50 Year Anniversary with a festival and catered barbecue. San Jose Vice Mayor Judy Chirco was the Keynote Speaker. Former Scoutmaster Bob Wilson and Susanne Wilson were in attendance. The Scoutmaster was Todd O'Connor.
2010 – Integrated Circuit (8 United Methodist Churches working together)
2011 – Joint 3 Church Family Mission Trip to Mexico
November 2011 – Installation of Solar Panels to reduce our carbon footprint. The $128,000 project was installed with no cash outlay and is expected to save CPUMC $125,000 over 20 years.